ATT: ALL FASHION COLLEGES (based in KZN)
Please find a detailed brief for The Vodacom Durban July Young Designer Award 2021 presented by Durban Fashion Fair and a copy of the event theme “BIRDS OF A FEATHER’’.
This competition will draw entries from Durban, Pietermaritzburg and surrounding areas only, showcasing the very best young, emerging talent. All entrants must be currently studying fashion. It is planned that the winner will be announced at Africa’s Greatest Horseracing Event, the Vodacom Durban July, on Saturday, 3 July 2021.
INVITE TO STUDENTS – Gold Circle invites students to submit work for the Vodacom Durban July Young Designer Award 2021. It is essential that the Raceday theme is followed and that your design reflects an understanding of the content of the theme. It is important that you understand that this is a fashion competition. Stay away from anything that is too theatrical or avant-garde and definitely nothing gimmicky. Your design should be all about your interpretation of the theme exploring the beautiful birds of our country and our great African continent. The theme allows you to consider the colours, textures, patterns and imagery of birds. Do not be too literal. Think out of the box.
Judges will be looking for garments that are on trend and well executed, with an emphasis on being beautifully dressed for a day at the races. Fit, quality and finish are very important. All aspects of the look, the hat, accessories, shoes and overall grooming should be considered, as it is part of the judging criteria throughout the competition. A stylish mask, that compliments your design, should add to the overall impression.
Please keep in mind that the design is for an upmarket raceday, not an evening event.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
Please pass all relevant information onto students who wish to enter:
REQUIREMENT OF STUDENTS
• Each student must design a raceday ensemble that is stylish, fashionable and encompasses the spirit of Africa’s Greatest Horseracing Event – the Vodacom Durban July. The work must be innovative and forward thinking, judges will be looking for a solid interpretation of the theme, which combines creativity with a distinct fashion edge. This is an essential part of the judges’ brief.
JUDGING OF THE ENTRIES
MONDAY 7 JUNE 2021
• All students must present their completed work to a panel of judges on Monday, 7 June at Hollywoodbets Greyville Racecourse, at a time and venue to be advised. Students must present work that is very definitely theme related and designed specifically for this event. Students may be asked to verbally present their interpretation and understanding of the theme during the judging process.
SELECTION OF SEMI-FINALISTS
MONDAY 7 JUNE 2021
• 20 – 25 semi-finalists will be selected to go forward to the second stage ‘SELECTION OF THE FINALISTS’ on a date to be advised.
• Please note that should you be selected as a semi-finalist, you and your model must be available for the second stage of the process (SELECTION OF THE FINALISTS) which will take place towards the end of June. Final details will be given to you on 7 June immediately after the selection of the semi-finalists.
• These Student semi-finalists will have to use their own models, at their own cost, for all functions pertaining to the Young Designer Award, except for the final show, the photo shoot and on raceday (to be confirmed – subject to Covid 19 restrictions) for the three finalists, where professional models will be allocated solely at the discretion of the producer. Raceday appearance to be confirmed – subject to Covid-19 restrictions.
• Models provided by students do not have to be professional and students will not be penalized in any way for not using professional models.
• For the semi-final judging, models must arrive dressed, if possible, as there is limited changing space available.
• Students and their models will be required to appear in front of a selected panel of judges and must be prepared to be photographed and interviewed for possible television and media purposes, at no cost to Gold Circle or the sponsors.
• Make sure you and your model look fantastic.
SELECTION OF THE FINALISTS
Date to be confirmed
• Ten finalists will be selected and will participate in the Young Designer Award. Details of the final event including show fitting, shoot and show will be confirmed in due course. Depending on Covid 19 restrictions in place at the time, the show will either be virtual or live at a venue to be advised.
• The panel of judges will carefully select the finalists using the students’ knowledge of fashion, the brief and the theme. Their decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into under any circumstances. Finalists must be aware of event sponsors and refer to the event by the correct name in any interview: The Vodacom Durban July Young Designer Award presented by Durban Fashion Fair and the race name i.e. The Vodacom Durban July.
• Students will be required to make themselves available for shoots for the press, television and electronic media leading up to the main event should it be necessary.
• By entering this competition, students give the organizer’s, owners and sponsors of the Vodacom Durban July permission to use any image taken of their work pertaining to the event or themselves, before, during and after the event, in editorial, advertorial and social media content, free of charge. You will be required to sign a Consent and Release form in this regard.
• Semi-finalists and finalists must be punctual for all call times and functions. Non arrival will result in immediate disqualification.
• During the selection process and final judging, judges will be looking at a finished, complete outfit and will look closely at the following:
* Visual impact, design integrity, originality
* It is fashionable and in line with current trends
* Suitability to the event and theme
* Interpretation of the brief – this is very important and should be thoughtful
* Fit / finish / quality
* Attention to detail
• Students who are selected for the semi-finals may not change their garments in any way leading up to the semi-final event and the same applies for the finals if selected as a finalist.
• Students may not work in pairs or groups.
• Students may only enter through their college.
• The organizers and sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any entrant, semi-finalist or finalist, should they not strictly adhere to the rules and regulations of the event or speak disparagingly about the event, sponsors or organizer’s.
• Please note that The Vodacom Durban July Young Designer Award is only open to students studying clothing and fashion design in KZN.
• The organizers and sponsors reserve the right to make any changes that may be necessary and in the interest of the event and cannot be held responsible for any changes that sponsors decide upon. Any change will be communicated through your college and the official website only.
Each of the 10 Finalists will receive R2 000 in cash, compliments of Schweppes and Gold Circle.
The Winner will receive R10 000 in cash with the compliments of Schweppes and Gold Circle, a R5 000 gift voucher courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping, a R3 000 Kryolan hamper, voucher and R1 500 SKIN by Aldytha hamper. From Hair Inc, R 12 000 worth of haircare for the year and iBalance is offering a body mapping valued at R 1000, plus a Myoko scalp massager. A 2 nights accommodation at a local hotel stay to the value of R 5000 – sponsored by BOLD Travel & Technology (T’s and Cs always apply – low season, booked at least one month in advance and based on availability) and a holiday beach bag including cap, towel and luggage lock from World Leisure Holidays.
The winning college Pietermaritzburg School of Fashion will also receive a R30 000 grant from Gold Circle to be used to support the programmes and structures in place to develop the design students.
The First Runner-up will receive R3 000 in cash with the compliments of Schweppes and Gold Circle, a R2 000 gift voucher courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping, a R2 000 Kryolan Hamper, voucher and R1 200 SKIN by Aldytha Hamper.
The Second Runner-up will receive R2000 in cash with the compliments of Schweppes and Gold Circle, a R1 000 gift voucher courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping, a R1 500 Kryolan Hamper, voucher and R1 000 SKIN by Aldytha hamper.
Please do not hesitate to email me on email@example.com, with any questions.
Fashion Programme Director/Producer