What are the judging criteria for all the fashion competitions including the race day on track competitions?
Judges look at the following:-
- Does the design encompass the spirit of the Vodacom Durban July and raceday?
- Is the design interesting, clever, fashion forward and theme driven?
- Is the fit, finish and quality of the ensemble of a high standard?
- Has the outfit been styled properly?
- Does the design have a visual impact?
- Has attention been paid to detail?
- Has the designer selected the correct fabric, trim etc. to compliment the design?
Deliberation between judges also plays a role in selecting finalists and winners.
Who judges the fashion competitions? How are judges selected?
Judges are selected based on their knowledge of fashion and the event. They are very often designers, fashion journalists, fashion lecturers, fashion producers or celebrities who are considered stylish and fashionable. There are always five judges on each judging panel to ensure that a clear winner is always found. Please bear in mind that the judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding their decision.
How do I interpret this year’s theme?
It is very elegant, chic, stylish and classical. Judges will be looking for garments that are on trend and beautifully executed. Fit, quality and finish are very important. All aspects of the look – the hat, accessories, shoes and overall grooming to be considered. It should be remembered that this is a raceday, not an evening event.