VODACOM DURBAN JULY 2019
It is an express condition of this race that the Company reserves the right to exclude any horse,
which, in its opinion, does not warrant inclusion in the race. In addition, the Company shall have the right to
exclude any horse at Declaration Stage, and to decide on the final field for the race.
Weights shall be framed by the Handicapper in his sole discretion and without necessarily having regard for
horses’ merit ratings, but subject to the following:
1. The weights to be carried shall not exceed 60kg and shall not be less than 52kg.
2. Minimum weight for 4-year-olds and older: Colts and Geldings 53kg Fillies and Mares 52kg
2. Maximum weight for 4-year and older
2. at publication of weights: Colts and Geldings 60kg Fillies and Mares 59kg
3. Minimum weight for 3-year-olds: Colts and Geldings 53kg Fillies 52kg
3. Maximum weight for 3-year-olds
3. at publication of weights: Colts and Geldings 57kg Fillies and Mares 56kg
4. No penalties shall be incurred after the publication of weights.
5. Notwithstanding 2 and 3 above, the Handicapper will raise all weights proportionately to 60kg. Should the top
5. weight originally allotted be less than 60kg at final declaration.
VODACOM DURBAN JULY LOGS: The Company in consultation with the Handicappers will publish a series of
logs of the entries. The logs will reflect all the horses, in order of preference, as to the make up of the final
field at the time of publication.
Entries: Close 11:00 Wednesday, 17 April – R 2,300 (Fee R 2,000 + VAT R 300) (Non Refundable)
First Declaration: Close 11:00 Monday, 13 May – R 3,450 (Fee R 3,000 + VAT R 450) (Non Refundable)
First Supp. Entries: Close 11:00 Tuesday, 14 May – R 12,650 (Fee R 11,000 + VAT R 1,650) (Non Refundable)
Second Declaration: Close 11:00 Monday, 3 June – R 5,750 (Fee R 5,000 + VAT R 750) (Non Refundable)
Final Supp. Entries: Close 11:00 Tuesday, 18 June – R 25,300 (Fee R 22,000 + VAT R 3,300) (Non Refundable)
Weights Published: Tuesday, 18 June
Final Declaration: Close 11:00 Monday, 24 June – R32 500 (Refunded if not selected to run).
Entry and Declaration fees must be fully paid by Monday, 1 July.
Final Field and Draw: Announcement of the Final Field and Barrier Draws will take place on Tuesday, 25 June.
Final Field: **20 horses will be carded for this event (18 Horses + 2 Reserves)** The Reserves to be
scratched by 8:15 Friday 5 July. Elimination will be at the sole and unfettered discretion of
Public Gallops: It shall be a condition of acceptance that all runners participate in public gallops scheduled for
Thursday, 27 June, failing which, the horse will, in the absence of exceptional and unforeseen
circumstances which the Company shall in its sole discretion declare as such, be declared
ineligible to run in the Vodacom Durban July. Further, the Company reserves the right in its sole
discretion to allow a horse stabled out of province on the day of the gallops to work out in the
province where stabled prior to 27 June provided that the workout is filmed and screened on 27 June
Sponsorship: No sponsorship or branding of any sort other than that of raceday sponsors as agreed by the
Company in terms of Racing Operators Conditions 18.2, 18.3 & 18.4 will be permitted. It shall be
a condition of acceptance that all riders engaged in the Vodacom Durban July, wear sponsor’s
branding on their breeches.
Qualifying Races: The winners of the following Grade 1 races in the current season will qualify automatically save
that, where appropriate, Gold Circle reserves the right to request a public gallop to determine the
well-being / fitness in the event that any of these winners have not raced within three months of
the date of final declaration (given the timing of these races, this would practically speaking only
apply to winners of Events 1; 2 & 3):-
1. The L’Ormarins Queens Plate 6. The SA Derby
2. The SunMet 7. Premier’s Champions Challenge
3. The Investec Cape Derby 8. Daily News 2000
4. The SA Classic 9. Woolavington 2000
5. The SA Fillies Classic 10. Rising Sun Gold Challenge
Winners of the following races in the current season will enjoy preferential consideration for
inclusion in the final field:-
1. Sansui Summer Cup (Gr 1) 3. Cup Trial (Gr 3)
2. Betting World 1900 (Gr 2) 4. Jubilee Handicap (Gr 3)