It is with great excitement and pleasure that Gold Circle invites you to submit a storyboard for this year’s Vodacom Durban July Fashion Challenge presented by the Durban Fashion Fair. This competition is open to all aspiring, emerging and established designers nationally, as well as fashion students who are studying outside of KZN and offers finalists a wonderful opportunity to be part of the biggest horseracing and fashion event in the country. Fashion design students, currently studying in Durban, may not enter this event (please refer to the Vodacom Durban July Young Designer Award here).
You must design a Race Day Ensemble that is stylish, fashionable and encompasses the spirit of South Africa’s most prestigious horseracing event, The Vodacom Durban July. Fit, quality and finish are very important. All aspects of the look, the hat, accessories, shoes and overall grooming are very important, as this is pa
rt of the judging criteria. It is absolutely essential that the attached theme, ‘The Colour of Magic’ is followed and that your design reflects it. It is essential that you understand that this is a fashion competition. Stay away from anything that is too theatrical or Avant Garde and definitely nothing gimmicky. However, the ‘unexpected’ would score you points. This brief is not necessarily about the colour red, it is about ‘magical’ fashion and design work. Judges will be looking for garments that are on trend and beautifully executed, with an emphasis on being beautifully dressed. The design is for an upmarket raceday, not an evening event. Please keep this in mind.
Please read through the following information.
- We will select 10 finalists off storyboard submissions. Designers may not change their design in any way once selected as a finalist.
- Your storyboard must include a detailed illustration of your design, supporting technical drawings and trim and fabric swatches. You will not be considered without this information. No email entries will be considered.
Please fill in the entry form which follows and attach it firmly to the back of your storyboard. Storyboards must be delivered, by 16h00 on 9 May to Tiffany Prior, Ice Models, 1st Floor, Unit 6, Stadium Building, Lion Match Park, 892 Umgeni Road, Durban, 4001.
PLEASE NOTE THAT STORYBOARDS SENT VIA THE POST OR COURIER MUST BE DELIVERED TO THE ABOVE DURBAN ADDRESS. NO ENTRIES WILL BE COLLECTED FROM THE POST OFFICE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- Judging will take place on 11 May at our offices. Should you be selected as a finalist, you will be required to construct your garments as per the submitted storyboard. You will be provided with a professional model for the shows, shoot and Raceday. Whilst every effort will be made to provide you with a model of your choice, the final decision will rest with the producer, to ensure a quality production. Should you wish to use your own model, this will be at your own cost, but they have to be available for all relevant dates as listed below, without exception. They must have had prior runway experience and must cast for the producer before confirmation.
- Storyboards will not be couriered, posted or delivered back to you under any circumstances. Please ensure that you make a detailed copy of your board to work from in the event that you are selected as a finalist. Finalists will be notified telephonically and by email by 11 May. Durban entrants who are unsuccessful may collect their storyboards from my office from 12 May. Please note that any storyboard not collected within 3 months, after the Vodacom Durban July Raceday, will be destroyed. Finalists’ submissions will be kept for use in further judging. Finalists will be announced on our official Facebook page as well on 12 May.
- Please note that should you be selected as a finalist and not reside in Durban, you will be responsible for all your own travel costs should you wish to attend the shows or the Vodacom Durban July. However, your garments will be couriered by the organiser, to Durban, in time for all relevant dates and back to you, at no cost to you. You will not be penalized in any way should you not have the funds to travel to Durban. Your model will represent you at all events and should you win, all prizes are yours and will not be shared with your model.
- Please make a note of the following relevant dates. Full details will follow should you be selected as a finalist:
05 June Garments couriered to Durban (except local finalists)
08 June Fitting (Durban finalists to attend – compulsory)
13 June Rehearsal and Dress rehearsal
13 June Show 1, Cheese & Wine
15 June Shoot & Show 2, Dinner
01 July Raceday
- If your garment does not reach Durban by the stipulated date, you will immediately be disqualified and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Designers must be aware of the following:-The naming rights to the event belong to Vodacom i.e. The Vodacom Durban July. The event is owned by Gold Circle. The name of the fashion event is The Vodacom Durban July Fashion Challenge presented by the Durban Fashion Fair. Please refer to these by the correct names in any interview. If you make reference to raceday, it is the Vodacom Durban July.
- Designers must meet all deadlines or will automatically be disqualified.
- All panels of judges will be carefully selected and their knowledge of fashion will be of prime consideration. Their decision is final and NO correspondence will be entered into under any circumstances. Final judging will take place on 15 June at the Vodacom Durban July Fashion Showcase in Durban. The winner will be announced on Raceday.
- The winner will receive a “fashion” travel package to Johannesburg to experience S A Fashion Week courtesy of Durban Fashion Fair, a project of the Business Support, Markets and Tourism Unit of the City of Durban. Should the winner meet the criteria of the SAFW Sunglass Hut New Talent Search 2017, they will receive consideration as a finalist to participate in this prestigious fashion competition. The winner will also receive a two-night stay for two in a Seaview Suite at Fairmont Zimbali Resort (inclusive of Breakfast daily) valued at R28 000, R5 000 from Gold Circle, an impressive Huawei P10 Lite Smartphone from Huawei and Vodacom, a R5 000 Gift Card courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping, a CANON PowerShot SX620 HS Digital Camera valued at R2 800 courtesy of Daisy Business Solutions, a Magical Mangwanani Moonlight Night Spa voucher to the value of R1200, a R2 500 Gift Card courtesy of Forever New, a Clarins hamper to the value of R1 200 and a Zadig and Voltaire hamper valued at R2100. Second prize R3 000 and third prize R2 000 from Gold Circle
- By entering The Vodacom Durban Fashion Challenge presented by the Durban Fashion Fair, designers give the organisers, owners and sponsors of the Vodacom Durban July, permission to use any image taken of their work or themselves, before, during and after the event, in editorial and advertorial content and on all official online platforms.
- We reserve the right to make any necessary changes to the Vodacom Durban July Fashion Challenge presented by the Durban Fashion Fair, should we deem it necessary in the best interest of the event.
- By signing the attached entry form you agree to abide by all terms and conditions in this competition brief.
Please do not hesitate to call on 031 309 6114 or email email@example.com with any questions.
Fashion Programme Director & Producer