Greyville Racecourse was abuzz with ‘July Fever’ as crowds of punters and socialites embraced the spirit of Africa’s premier horseracing event, decking themselves out in an array of spectacular fashion items suited to this year’s theme, ‘Leader of the Pack’.
Amongst thousands of avid racegoers were many aspiring and established designers who proudly showcased their card-inspired creations, hoping for a chance of winning one of the renowned raceday competitions presented by Durban Fashion Fair.
Designer Pregasen Govender’s punk rock matching looks secured him first place for The Gold Circle Most Striking Couple award. The local designer explained how his outfits were inspired by, “The nightclub version of a suit of clubs.”
First in the Gold Circle Classic Raceway – Female competition went to thrilled Madelain Clark, her spade inspired ensemble that oozed raceday sophistication winning over the expert panel of judges.
Martin Steenkamp secured first place for the Gold Circle Classic Racewear – Male competition. Delighted with his victory the young designer expressed how he really took the theme to heart: “Spades are the highest suit in a pack of cards and I wanted my outfit to have a sense of power, soul and authority.”
Zandile Masondo couldn’t contain her excitement, as it was her third time winning first place for The Gold Circle Exceptional Raceday Hat or Fascinator competition. Her delicate red and beige creation wowed all who saw it.
Apart from the applause of the excited crowds and acclamation from the judges winners were also showered in prizes including smartphones, gift cards, fragrances and cash prizes from Gold Circle.
The 2016 Vodacom Durban July takes place at Greyville Racecourse on Saturday 2 July. More information can be found at www.vodacomdurbanjuly.co.za.
SUMMARY OF RESULTS – VODACOM DURBAN JULY RACE DAY FASHION COMPETITION WINNERS
Gold Circle Most Striking Couple
1. Pregasen Govender (models – Yarushka and George)
2. Monique Talita Botha (models – Ben and Cornell du Preez)
3. Kirshen Chetty (models – Kaitlyn and Mikyle)
Gold Circle Classic Racewear – Female
1. Madelain Clark (model – Kriston Holpert)
2. Sherwin Alwood (model – Robyn Blessie)
3. Sphelele Ntuli (model – Thobeka Dhlamini)
Gold Circle Classic Racewear – Male
1. Martin Steenkamp (model – Philani Ndwalane)
2. Teez M (model – Salman Yusuf)
3. Prince Shongwe (model – Prince Shongwe)
Gold Circle Exceptional Raceday Hat or Fascinator
1. Zandile Masondo (model – Zama Nkosi)
2. House of K & S (model – Naseema Peerbhai)
3. Yamah Exclusive Designs (model – Zuko Mila)